Air Conditioning Guide: Air Conditioning Repair vs. Replacement
Making the decision between air conditioning repair and replacement can be difficult. It’s an important financial decision. While you don’t want to throw a system that may retain its usefulness over the next few years, you also don’t want to support an obsolete system. So how do you make the call? Your Cary, NC air conditioning contractor can evaluate your system and let you know what the best option for your home. Please call Raleigh Heating & Air if you need advice on whether to repair or replace your air conditioning system.
Let’s first go over some reasons to repair:
- Frozen coil: The frozen coil is often the result of an airflow problem. Often, your air filter may be clogged so that the cool air that is meant to circulate throughout your ductwork is building up inside your air handler. This is easy to fix and doesn’t require you to replace your system.
- Electrical problem: If you hear a buzzing sound around your AC unit, or if doesn’t respond to the thermostat, you might have an electrical problem. There may be a damaged wire in the supply line. Many of these issues are small and can be fixed quickly.
- Low refrigerant: If your AC does not seem to cool your home enough, or to the extent that it once did, then it’s possible your refrigerant charge is low. This can be due a leak or an improper installation. Both of these problems do not require system replacement.
Next, some reasons to replace:
- Age: If your AC is getting older, you should start thinking about replacement sooner than later, even if it appears to be running beautifully at the moment. A new system will run more efficiently and require fewer repairs, which can save you a lot of money in the long run.
- Frequent repairs: If your existing AC needs constant repairs, it will probably save you money to replace your system. Problems with your compressor or other large repairs can be tough to fix, and replacing your older system can often be a better choice.
- Spike in energy bills: If your AC is costing you too much money, consult with a professional to find out whether replacing your AC unit will make a difference in your energy bills.
We hope this brief guide helps you consider the problem of repair vs. replacement more clearly. However, seek professional guidance in order to make an informed decision about the future of your cooling system. For Cary, NC air conditioning repair, call the pros at Raleigh Heating & Air today!