Why You Should Schedule Air Duct Cleaning
An important part of your air conditioning system is your ductwork; without it, there is no delivery system for the cool air. Just as other parts of your air conditioner can become clogged and dirty, so, too, can your ductwork. The immediate problem with this is that dirty ductwork can very easily deliver dirty air, which can impact your home and family members. One of the best ways to help keep the indoor air quality in your home as clean as possible during air conditioning season is by scheduling air duct cleaning service in Raleigh, NC.
Why Clean Air Ducts?
There are several important benefits to cleaning air ducts:
- Health – as we stated above, if there is dust and dirt in your air ducts, it will get blown directly into your home. This can be a serious problem for allergy sufferers and those with chronic respiratory illnesses.
- Energy efficiency – enough dust and dirt trapped in your ductwork can restrict air flow and put a strain on your air conditioning system. Any time your air conditioner is strained, it uses more energy, decreasing its efficiency and possibly contributing to higher monthly energy bills.
- Less wear-and-tear – when debris in the vent work reduces air flow, it puts strain on the whole system. Long-term strain can lead to premature aging, which can affect performance and operation.
How Are Ducts Cleaned?
Duct cleaning goes far beyond sticking a vacuum hose into a vent register. The purpose of a professional duct cleaning is to thoroughly remove dust, dirt and debris, including scraping the inside of the vents. There are many tools a trained technician will use, but 3 of the most common ones are:
- Hand-held vacuum – these professional-grade portable vacuums remove a tremendous amount of build-up in your ductwork, and have a HEPA filter to keep particulates from circulating back into your air.
- Air sweep – this truck-mounted vacuum is extremely powerful and is typically used after your ducts have been treated with a compressed-air hose that dislodges stubborn debris.
- Mechanical brush – this is also a truck-mounted vacuum, but the head is a rotating mechanical brush that scrapes and sucks away tough-to-remove items from your ductwork.
Most, if not all, of these tools are used in conjunction with visual devices like cameras to help ensure the most thorough cleaning possible.
As you can see, a lot of work and use of specific tools go into properly cleaning your ductwork, which is why it’s so important to hire a professional to do the work. Think you may need air duct cleaning in Raleigh? Call Raleigh Heat & Air today and schedule an appointment with one of our duct cleaning experts.