Deciding whether or not to replace or repair your air conditioner can be one of the hardest decisions to make. After all, these systems are expensive to replace, they’re supposed to last for over a decade, and summers can be unbearable without them. The repercussions of this type of decision will stick with you for a while, so you’re going to want to make the most informed decision possible. That’s why we’re here to help!
When it comes to HVAC services in Chapel Hill, we’re the pros. With that said, we can tell you some helpful tips to consider when discussing whether to repair or replace your troubled AC. If any of these points don’t make sense, or you’ve got any questions about the process, don’t hesitate to call our team today.
Well, let’s get started.
When to Repair or Replace
It doesn’t have to be such a complicated decision to repair or replace your air conditioner. Homeowners are attached to their systems, understandably, because they’ve been keeping them cool for so long.
Unfortunately, that attachment can muddy the process up and make it difficult to decide when it’s time to get rid of your system and install a new one. Take a look at our helpful list below on things to look for when deciding whether you should repair or replace your air conditioner.
- Age. Air conditioners are only supposed to last between 10-15 years in the best of cases. If you’re looking into repairing a system that’s been in your family for 10 or more years, we understand why you might be attached to it, but we’d highly recommend that you reconsider this approach. This system is only going to get more expensive and less efficient as the years go on.
- Efficiency. Air conditioners lose efficiency year after year. That’s just a fact. Not only that, but newer air conditioner models are always more efficient just because of the prominent new technology that’s always being developed. If you’d like to stay ahead of the curve and work with an air conditioner that’s highly efficient, it’s time for a replacement.
- Effectiveness. Your air conditioner is supposed to keep your home cool, full stop. If you’re noticing that the system just isn’t keeping your home comfortable like it used to, then that could be a huge reason to consider a replacement. Repairs don’t necessarily always bring your system back to full-effectiveness, so perhaps it’s time to discuss with us the option of replacement.
- Frequent Repairs. Repairs are obnoxious, which is why they’re only supposed to be once every couple of years. If you’re starting to call us every few months for a repair, then there’s something more sinister going on. A replacement air conditioner could serve as a solution to your frequent repair needs.
- Cost. Here’s a general rule of thumb: If your air conditioner repair is costing more than half the price of a new AC replacement, we highly urge you to replace it. Replacements will save the most money in the long run, and will be much more worth it than repairs.
We hope this list makes the decision easier for you.
Have any questions? Contact the team at Raleigh Heating & Air for your AC needs.