It seems like just yesterday we were talking about a fall checklist to prepare your home for winter. Spring came around fast this year. Actually, to be clear we should state that the date on the calendar came around fast -here in the Triangle area it still feels like winter outside but surely the warmer air and sunshine is right around the corner… Yes, surely it is.
When the day comes that the weather is warmer and the sun is shining bright and the overwhelming urge to throw the curtains back and open your windows comes upon you, be prepared – sunlight has a way of illuminating that shadow in the corner that you have ignored for the last couple of months.
The way we see it, you have 2 options; accept that you have a head start on the next Halloween party or start cleaning.
There are hundreds of sites out there to help you put together cleaning lists as well as a game plan for this day. We found this site that has PDF checklists for each room and tasks that you can get your children to help out with.
In addition to making your happy home a clean one, you also want to take steps to make your home and your heating and air system as energy efficient and comfortable as possible. Here are 10 tips to ensure that keeping your home cool this summer does not break the bank:
1) Use 30 day filters and change them at least as often as the name suggests.
2) Set the ceiling fan to run in a counter-clockwise position.
3) Run the ceiling fan anytime you are in the room. It will make you feel several degrees cooler allowing you to raise the temperature on the thermostat – they use about as much electricity as a light bulb. Just remember to turn them off when you leave the room.
4) Even if you were raised in a barn, close windows and doors while the AC is running.
5) Seal leaky ductwork. Having your ductwork professionally sealed or replaced by a licensed professional could qualify for a rebate from the utility company.
6) Install a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature in the home while you are away.
7) Cook outside. The barbeque is a staple of summertime fun and it will keep all that heat outside where it belongs.
8) Set your thermostat fan to the AUTO position. ON will keep the fan running constantly.
9) Have your AC system serviced and maintained to keep it running at peak performance.
10) Change your filters. Oh, did we say that already? Well, it’s important. It’s also so easy to do and so easily and often missed. A blocked and dirty filter can make a giant difference in the performance of your cooling system.
If you would like to see more energy saving tips and the latest news at Raleigh Heating & Air like us on facebook and our ever-so-insightful words of wisdom will be delivered straight to your newsfeed.
We hope you have a fantastic summer!